Types of Dementia
Disorders of the brain can be classified based on whether they are progressive and determining which part of their brain is affected. Most dementia disorders can be classified into the following conditions:
• Primary dementia (e.g. Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia, Lewy body dementia, HIV-associated dementia, Huntington's disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
• Secondary dementia (e.g. Progressive supranuclear palsy, Multiple sclerosis, ALS dementia, Normal pressure dementia)
• Cortical dementia – where the brain cortex is affected (memory, language, thinking and social behavior)
• Sub-cortical dementia – the parts of the brain below the cortex are affected (emotional problems and movement)
• Progressive dementia – increasing difficulties over time